Emergencies happen when you least expect them and at the most inconvenient time. Well, a plumbing emergency is never convenient, but you understand. When an emergency happens, it’s very easy to get frantic. Who do you call? What do you do? How many towels are you going to need? Why is there just so much water?! We get that last one a lot. In this blog, we want to take through the steps of what to do if there’s a plumbing emergency in your home.
- Step 1: Don’t Panic: It’s going to be overwhelming and your brain may default to a panic. If you don’t stay calm, it’s possible that the situation could escalate more. Just remember, our team at Pulliam Plumbing is a phone call away. Take a couple of deep breaths and continue on with the next step.
- Step 2: Turn Off The Water: Find out where the water valve is and turn it off. If you can’t get to the valve for the toilet or sink that’s causing the issue go for the main valve for the entire house. The faster you get the water off the less of a mess there will be to clean up.
- Step 3: Turn Off Electrical Appliances: Be careful with this step. It’s important to make sure water doesn’t reach any appliances or outlets because electricity can travel through water. If it is contained in one room, you can turn off the power to just that section. If not, similar to the water valve, cut power to the entire house.
- Step 4: Clean Up What You Can: Cleaning up as much water as you can does two things. First, it reduces as much water damage as possible. Some things closer to the leak may still get damaged, but at least it’s a small section instead of the entire room. Second, it gives our plumbers more room to work and it helps us see exactly where the leak is a lot easier if it wasn’t obvious already.
- Step 5: Do Not DIY: When it comes to a plumbing emergency, it’s better to just give us a call. We’ll be able to determine not only how it happened but fix it properly so it won’t happen again. You’ll save yourself a lot of money by giving us a call first.
- Step 6: Call Us: Give us a call if an emergency happens. We understand that plumbing emergencies don’t have regular office hours. No matter what time of the day or night, give us a call and we’ll be at your location as soon as we can.